Bikernet Blog Search Bikernet
Ride Forever -
Friday Edition

Bikernet West - Amazing Progress

Shows Amazing Progress - Joker Machine And Weerd Brothers Come To The Rescue

Photos: Markus Cuff

Share this story:

Late into the evening, Bandit, Nuut Boy, and my wonderfully-knowledgeable- self hammer, weld, bolt, space, and tear our beards out moving forward on Bandit's rigid. The Weerd Bros front end is in place with the Roadwings 21-inch, 40-spoke wheel. The rear is a 180-18, both with Avon tires. The frame is stretched 6 inches up and 2 out. The trees on the clean front end are raked 6 degrees (photo 1). The S&S 98-inch stroker is bolted in place as is the 5-speed Sputhe trans. 

 Photo 1

We set the engine and tranny in place and then found a scrap inner primary to line everything up. With the stock 32-tooth pulley on the tranny, we put a 70-tooth narrow belt pulley from Harley on the back with a 134-tooth belt. It was too long. We tried to get a hold of the frame manufacturer for some guidance, but they wouldn't get back to us, so we had to wing it. We had another option. Run a Harley Thunderstar 65-tooth wide pulley for taller gearing for the trip. We picked up a 130-tooth belt and it fit like a glove. The pulley on the wheel also felt good and afforded us plenty of tire clearance with the offset frame. With the rear wheel in the center of the adjustment axle slot and the tire centered in the frame, it was time to fit the rear fender. 

The rear fender was a Milwaukee Iron job, which took some time to mount up. First we centered the tire in the frame. Ignore the offset rear leg. Center it in the frame using the cross member behind the seat as a guide. We centered it then strapped chunks of 3/4-inch board (photo2) to the tire with green paint masking (low tack) tape. 


Then we slipped the fender in place after the rear belt was adjusted. Again, make sure the fender is centered over the tire. The fender didn't contour the tire completely, so you must decide what area you want contoured. We decided on the top, most visible area. Make sure the slot for the belt rides a good two inches above the belt and at least a 1/4-inch from the inside. 

Bandit began his bungling process of mounting the fender with tabs on the back of the frame cross member (photo 3) to the fender. He set the fender, then set it again and again, then set the tabs in place and tacked them into place and checked again before welding them. Then he made two sidemount tubes and set them in place, drilled the holes, bolted the bracket into place, set the fender in place, and welded the mounts. Randy from Milwaukee Iron recommended them for packing a passenger. Then Bandit made one more from the bottom front of the fender to the frame. He could have drilled the bracket and mounted it with fasteners, but decided to weld it to avoid chipping paint with another bracket.   
Photo 3

Then the Samson exhaust was removed from the box. They don't build exhaust for rigids so natch the Dyna exhaust didn't fit, since with rubbermount frames the engine sets higher in the chassis. They were also over 10 inches different in length. For performance we cut them to a more equal length (photo 4), about 27 inches. 

Photo 4

We also ordered baffles and we cut them (guessing) to give the 2 1/4-inch exhaust some back pressure. Then we mounted them. The front pipe was way too close to the deck, so we cut 2 inches out of it and gas welded the pipe back together. During this process we were able to bring the pipe into closer alignment with the rear exhaust. None of the brackets would work so the madman with a torch went to work building brackets. 

The seat was also a trick. Bandit purchased an old cop solo with the plunger t-bar from 34th Station, a bike restoration shop on Pacific. After much contemplation he decided that he had to mount springs under the seat for something of a ride, but springs were a problem. 

He had some success with a set of valve springs on his dicey Knucklehead, "Made all the difference in the world," Bandit said while pondering the ride. But the old Bates tapered 2- or 3-inch springs generally bottom out under any load. 

Then a bolt of lightening hit while attending the Harley-Davidson new model presentation to the motorcycling press. In addition to all the new models for 2001, they were showing off their new police bike, which had a sprung seat. Bandit drew the 4-inch crescent wrench he's been carrying in his pocket for the last 32 years and began to take the springs off the new 2001 model. Seven factory executives struggled to pull him off the new demo bike. "But wait, guys. I just want to borrow 'em," he screamed, pulling on his crescent wrench.

Back at the top-secret massive 50-square-foot Bikernet testing facility, the gang was taking more measurements. It was determined that if he could narrow the seat one inch, all would fit, and the seat spring studs would line up with the center of the frame tubes. A call was made to California Harley-Davidson to order the springs, ASAP. Nuut Boy went to work stripping the seat to just the pan. With a die-grinder he cut a 1-inch strip out of the center of the pan then laid enough brazing rod into the jagged gap to sink a battleship. We decided not to use the old t-bar and with some standard 3/8-inch round stock, fashioned a triangle brace under the seat for support. 

At midnight we shut the highly secret, deep dark dungeon of dust and dipshits and went to the bar for last call.

Hang on. There will be more next week as we figure out how to mount the tank .


Photo 5

Share this story:

Back to Bandit's 2000 Blue Flame, Bike Builds

Your thoughts on this article

Your Name
Anti-Spam Question:
Please enter the words you see in the box, in order and separated by a space. Doing so helps prevent automated programs from abusing this service.